Aussie Pitmasters Forum

Australias Best BBQ Forum
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:40 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:22 pm 

Hey guys, this is my first time here.

A little about me:

I live in Melbourne and just purchased a Weber Spirit 3 Burner and so far we are happy with it. We wanted a relatively small BBQ for my 80 year old dad to use as well, and one that had a great warranty.

We will be using it to bbq steaks/sausages/wings etc, nothing too complex and fancy, for about 12 people Xmas Eve, but I also want to get a smoker as I really love smoked foods. So I have 6 weeks to learn. I think I will start off simple with whole chickens etc.

After doing heaps of research it was between the Pro Q and the Weber Smokey Mountain 47cm.

I have really struggled to find a lot of info about the Pro Q's and nowhere on the website does it mention the warranty. I know the WSM is 10 years.

I think the Pro Q offers only 1?

At this stage I am leaning towards the WSM. Even though it's expensive, the warranty is exceptional...

So my plan is to have the Weber Spirit going + a charcoal smoker such as the WSM producing some whole chickens and maybe lamb.

BUT.....

My mate just reminded me that during summer there's often Total Fire Ban's declared and if one is declared around Xmas time,
I would only be able to use my Gas BBQ.

From what I recall here in Melb there were heaps of Total Fire Bans last year. THis would throw a big spanner in the works
if I had all this meat for smoking, for a house full of people.

So after deciding on the WSM 18inch ( 47cm ) now I am thinking it might be safer to get an electric smoker such as the bradley smoker for same price ( $750 ). I could still use it on a total fire ban day ( I think )?

But the warranties only 12months and the reviews are extremely mixed on the Bradley Smoker.

Whereas the WSM is universally praised.

Any help would be appreciated

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:06 am 

Life's full of decisions isn't it?

I've got a WSM 22" and a 22" kettle and a 6-burner gas barbecue, many of the guys on here have at least three, so there's usually options on fire ban days. If your gas BBQ has a hood you can smoke with it, using foil pouches filled with wood chips placed over the flames, would that work for you.

If you want to make a buying decision based on what the weather is going to be like on a particular day just toss a coin or check the BoM website for their prediction on the day, it's probably going to be wrong anyway!

I've never used a Bradley so I can't comment on those, but i enjoy the charcoal and wood chip experience of the WSM.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:46 pm 

Yeah I guess it's good to diversify and have a few options or back up.

I will go in to a Weber Supplier and have chat to them.

I might just get the weber smokey. Aldi are selling a Gas Smoker for $200 this weekend and it looks like a rebadged Hark Gas Smoker for half the price

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys ... -smoker-3/

Then I'd have 3 options hahaha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:33 pm 

Don't forget you'll need a separate BBQ should a vegenetarian come around to eat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:20 pm 

We will have plenty of grass and potato salad :p