Aussie Pitmasters Forum

Australias Best BBQ Forum
It is currently Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:55 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Drums
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:47 pm 

Heya all..any advice where I might be able to get a drum suitable to make a UDS?? Preferably in the Sth West

Post subject: Re: Drums
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:59 pm 

Not sure about WA but in SA i get mine from the local recycle depot, if none there try a salvage yard.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:22 pm 

Try having a look on Gumtree. Failing that, if you have a brew shop, like brew boys or similar, try one of those. Apparently people get them from there quite often.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:20 pm 

We have drums at my work, but I can't offer them to anyone as they're usually crunched up at the top by the time the forkies that move them have finished with them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:40 am 

I managed to pick a decent looking one up from the local tip, but it has had special meth spirits in it so im VERY reluctant to start cutting it up and im sure storing such chemicals wouldn't be good for cooking food in.

Im guessing it would need to be food grade or at least not been used to store chemicals, oils etc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:15 pm 

bart76 wrote:
I managed to pick a decent looking one up from the local tip, but it has had special meth spirits in it so im VERY reluctant to start cutting it up and im sure storing such chemicals wouldn't be good for cooking food in.

Im guessing it would need to be food grade or at least not been used to store chemicals, oils etc

The one I used for my UDS had metho in it, I took the bung out and let it breath for a week or two, mad sure there was nothing left in it, then cut the top out.

Gave it a good burn out and she was all good. Wasn't even lined, was raw inside, which saved me heaps of work! Also, you can use metho as a fuel to cook food, so shouldn't be an issue to use the drum, I've had no issues with mine, thats for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:21 pm 

Awesome news..ill open the bung this week for some breathing time cheers for the info Jars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:13 pm 

Hey Bart, how is your UDS going?

I am in Busso and have built a UDS out of a Metho drum too. Weber Lid fits perfect. Need to build a charcoal basket though. What did you use for a basket? and what are you using to fuel it from local supplies. (i noticed you were asking about fuel on a different post)

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:01 am 

hiya sads..not far from me!!

its all complete now just got to put it together...had a baby (well my wife did) so been side tracked :)

for my weber i have been using hot shots from bunnings, they seem pretty good...what about u??