Aussie Pitmasters Forum

Australias Best BBQ Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:57 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:31 pm 

G'day all. I'm new to the forum but not necessarily new to BBQ/Fire building. I'm a boilermaker by trade and am in the process of drawing up plans for a RF offset smoker to build for myself. I plan to build it with new pipe and plate, can't wait to get started. I'm considering buying material in bulk and building 3 or 4 at the same time. Would there be much interest in this? I'll be building them in SA and the basic dimensions/details are as follows.

508mm(20in) diameter x ~1200(48in) Cooking chamber.
508mm(20in) diameter fire box to suit with door on end
9.5mm wall thickness on CC & FB
5 or 6mm baffle plate and ends
Fire basket in FB
Plus all of the standard inclusions, stack with damper, door counterweight, spoked greasable wagon type wheels, fold down shelf.

I don't think they will be cheap being new steel, and blasted & painted, but if the interest is there I think I'll make the initial outlay and go ahead. What's everyone's thoughts on this?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:00 am 

Many of us could be interested! How much do you see it costing us?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:24 pm 

I will know more by next week sometime when I get a quote back from laser cutters etc. I think the prices will be competive, but I have a shocking habit of under estimating how long something will take me as I tend to put too much time and effort into the little things. At this stage I'll be making my own regardless, and I'll buy the pipe in a 6m length and get full sheets of plate so that I can make a couple more if the interest is there. And most probably improve on my first one.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:22 pm 

Had to put that little plan on the backburner. Last job went on much longer than I thought, and the new job doesn’t give me a heap of time to do my own thing. But I’m setting up my workshop and knocking up a little RF from a compressor tank I was given. Will put up a post to track progress.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:15 pm 

I'm interested if you are still thinking about building 3 or 4 units. Any movements on this idea?
Matt