Aussie Pitmasters Forum

Australias Best BBQ Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:25 am

All times are UTC+10:00

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:13 am 

Hi all , I am in nz and looking at purchasing either a big green egg or a broil King keg , would any of you have any advice to offer on these two bbq ?? Thanks all .

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:08 am 

I love my broil king keg! Never used a BGE, but I did consider it when I was shopping. My order of preference was Keg, Kamado Joe, BGE.

Pluses for the keg: It's made of steel, so it is way lighter (portable) and can be dropped without major damage; the trailer hitch accessory; has the best insulation, so it conserves charcoal a little better, and it allows cooking in the dead of a Minnesota winter; same size as BGE, so many accessories are interchangeable; least expensive of this list.
Minuses for the keg: it is made of steel, so it can't just sit outside or it may rust (but I can easily drag it in and out of the garage); have to buy accessories to do low and slow.
Pluses for KJ: comes with a ton of accessories, including their awesome divide and conquer, pretty much all accessories you need to hit the ground barbecuing; looks; lifetime warranty; lots of accessories available past the included ones.
Minuses for KJ: cost; weight; lack of portability.
Pluses for BGE: most accessories and dealers of any kamado; reputation of BGE makes you instantly legit; lifetime warranty.
Minuses for BGE: many other BGE owners are arrogant elitists; expensive (especially when you have to buy every accessory separately and they must be BGE accessories or you void the warranty; weight; lack of portability.

Hope that helps. Also, ceramics are generally better at holding a low temperature because of the ceramic mass, and can be brought to inferno temps without worry about the steel's finish, where steel has little mass to soak up and release heat, but I haven't had difficulty holding temps, and can hit 800 degrees without damage. Another possible issue is the keg has a cast iron main grill surface vs the stainless grates of the others if that matters to you. The cheaper keg model has a stainless grate, but loses the ability to use the trailer hitch accessory and some other options.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:41 am 

Agree with the above. Kamado Joe is my favourite brand personally.

Not sure of the broil king can achieve the high temps like a Kamado, but i'll say this. I often tell people not to waste money on a pizza oven and to get a Kamado. Probably the most versatile cooker which performa best all round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:58 am 

Thanks for your advice, i was/am keen on the big green egg, but came across the broil King 5000 the other day, it looks about the same size as the large bge. I probably wouldn't use the trailer hitch. I so love the kamado Komodo but it's a bit out of my range.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:17 pm 

I'd go a BGE large. Of course I am bias with more than one :D

More sold than any other Kamado in the world. More accessory's made specifically than any other. I don't know of a brand with a better warranty if something fails.

Dedicated forums http://eggheadforum.com/categories http://eggheadforum.com/categories

Eggtoberfest Cook Books http://www.nakedwhiz.com/cookbooks.htm

Yearly manufacturer comp = Eggtoberfest https://youtu.be/A7S-Kfs2bL4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:51 am 

Great advice, really exceptional quality information and leaves me with nothing to add other than an extra benefit of the Keg is in summer, you can cook pizza and kids can lean against it or your friends can sit nearby and NO FURNACE HEAT! Woo hoo, that counts for a lot when it is 30-40 degrees!

I went with the keg and am happy I did.

1st-Beef brisket

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:51 am 

pyroscott wrote:
I love my broil king keg! Never used a BGE, but I did consider it when I was shopping. My order of preference was Keg, Kamado Joe, BGE.

Pluses for the keg: It's made of steel, so it is way lighter (portable) and can be dropped without major damage; the trailer hitch accessory; has the best insulation, so it conserves charcoal a little better, and it allows cooking in the dead of a Minnesota winter; same size as BGE, so many accessories are interchangeable; least expensive of this list.
Minuses for the keg: it is made of steel, so it can't just sit outside or it may rust (but I can easily drag it in and out of the garage); have to buy accessories to do low and slow.
Pluses for KJ: comes with a ton of accessories, including their awesome divide and conquer, pretty much all accessories you need to hit the ground barbecuing; looks; lifetime warranty; lots of accessories available past the included ones.
Minuses for KJ: cost; weight; lack of portability.
Pluses for BGE: most accessories and dealers of any kamado; reputation of BGE makes you instantly legit; lifetime warranty.
Minuses for BGE: many other BGE owners are arrogant elitists; expensive (especially when you have to buy every accessory separately and they must be BGE accessories or you void the warranty; weight; lack of portability.

Hope that helps. Also, ceramics are generally better at holding a low temperature because of the ceramic mass, and can be brought to inferno temps without worry about the steel's finish, where steel has little mass to soak up and release heat, but I haven't had difficulty holding temps, and can hit 800 degrees without damage. Another possible issue is the keg has a cast iron main grill surface vs the stainless grates of the others if that matters to you. The cheaper keg model has a stainless grate, but loses the ability to use the trailer hitch accessory and some other options.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

^^^ Superb post!

1st-Beef brisket