Aussie Pitmasters Forum

Australias Best BBQ Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:28 am

All times are UTC+10:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:28 pm 

New NOR member.
Have a webber family Q and a webber Smokey Mountain.

Dod my first brisket last week. 5 hours at 80-90 degrees then crutched it on the Q for another 2 hours at around 115. Beautiful smoke ring and the meat was very tender. I will need to change the rub a bit, as I used a generic mixed cajun spice from Kakulas sister in Noranda, and added raw sugar (couldn't find any brown sugar). The spicy flavour was there, but I think I can make my own rub better.
The biggest issue was finding the brisket. At the local butcher in Warrick I got a piece of rolled up brisket, which in the end worked ok, but it wasn't nicely trimmed, and looked like a pice of flat with piece of top. if anyone of you know a butcher that has nice brisket, let me know.

I'ver also started trying to cold-smoke, and bought myself one of these pro-q cold smoke generators at bbqs galore in Osborne park, but can't seem to keep the smouldering going, I've tried twice now and both times it just dies. Perhaps I need to try different sawdust....

Anyway, happy to be here and learn from others.

Cheers,

Leon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:41 pm 

Hi,

I'm NOR also - been into this scene for a year or so - currently have a GMG davy crockett and a couple of webers but looking at upgrading to Jim Bowie soon enough and perhaps build a good sized offset as per Franklin's book. Been having some good success with Lamb shoulder, brisket (haven't come across a full packer yet in perth?) Ribs, and most recently whole chuck (so good.) Really appreciate everyone's input on here - has definitely helped me out heaps!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:23 am 

G'day ... SoR here. Been doing this low n slow smokey adventures my whole life. No major smokers excepting a small gas Hark equivalent ATM. Does the job. Previously used a modded Brinkman charcoal smoker for everything else but it died.

With only two in the household now it's harder to find reasons to smoke up but I do often enough. The usual stuff and some twists to the norm.

lucky37 wrote:
Hi,

I'm NOR also - been into this scene for a year or so - currently have a GMG davy crockett and a couple of webers but looking at upgrading to Jim Bowie soon enough and perhaps build a good sized offset as per Franklin's book. Been having some good success with Lamb shoulder, brisket (haven't come across a full packer yet in perth?) Ribs, and most recently whole chuck (so good.) Really appreciate everyone's input on here - has definitely helped me out heaps!

If your chasing a full packer brisket speak to Goodchilds meats in Hamilton Hill. Just ask for one making sure you mention you want the point. They'll seperate carcasses every day bar Friday. Give them at least 24 hours notice. You'll want to cryovac for a least seven days and then if you have the fridge space dry age for greater flavour.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:29 pm 

Nother Sandgroper signing in, also from NOR up in Greenwood. Fairly new to the low and slow bbq, had a Weber Q2200 for the last year and bit, picked up an old kettle of Gumtree a few months back, added another one to the collection last night!

Also struggling to find a decent butcher lol, have found nice brisket at the Nyuen Phat Farmer Jacks in Girrawheen, but it's hit and miss whether they have any stock, the one I got from there weighed in at a touch over 5kg and was point and flat that was just in the fridges up the back of the store, they also do other big whole cuts like chuck etc. They also do bone in pork belly at the butcher inside the store at $12/kg but it's cut into small sections no more than 30cm wide, still meatier than any ribs I have found in Perth though, can make crackle out of the rind too. Occasionally they have scotchies cut nice and thick @ $13/kg too!

Have also seen decent Briskets at the beef shed in Malaga but never bought one from there.

Cheers
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:39 pm 

I am driving out to Maddington regularly because The Beef Shop (no connection to Malaga) has grain finished Oxen whole packer brisket,Riverina, about $14.
Last one was near 7 kgs.
Bloody good!

1st-Beef brisket

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:39 pm 

Cheers Buccaneer! That's not too far in the big scheme of things, I'll have to check them out.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:00 pm 

Just saw a post of FB with a stack of point end briskets at the Malaga beef shed for anyone interested.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:33 pm 

faded wrote:
Just saw a post of FB with a stack of point end briskets at the Malaga beef shed for anyone interested.

They are ordinary grass fed, and close to the price of Grain fed @ Maddington!
Good if you are NOR and willing to cough it up tho, in an emergency.
I am cooking my briskie shortly, can't wait!

1st-Beef brisket

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:54 pm 

G'day Guys

Looking at changing from brickets to lumpwood. If there any good suppliers here in perth. I got a bag from bunnings as a test but it was all small pieces that were just not producing the required heat.
I have read that BBQs of the world have some good stuff and I saw this web page for todds party supplies that is selling 20kg bags of lumpwood logs. Has anyone ever used these before and what is the cost.

Any info would be great

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:51 pm 

Ceyes wrote:
G'day Guys

Looking at changing from brickets to lumpwood. If there any good suppliers here in perth. I got a bag from bunnings as a test but it was all small pieces that were just not producing the required heat.
I have read that BBQs of the world have some good stuff and I saw this web page for todds party supplies that is selling 20kg bags of lumpwood logs. Has anyone ever used these before and what is the cost.

Any info would be great

I'm using lumpwood from Todd's, seemed to me the best value. $30 for a 20Kg bag, compared to the $15 for a ~10kg bag of 'diggers' from Bunnings. The diggers stuff is absolute tripe, it's all in small pieces, nowhere near the chunkiness of the Todd's stuff. This is my first two bags of lump, so not sure what else to look for, but I used the Todd's stuff to cook some chicken a few weeks ago and it seems to hold it's heat pretty well, I haven't tried it for a low n slow yet, too scared to try yet :D

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next