Aussie Pitmasters Forum

Australias Best BBQ Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:08 pm

All times are UTC+10:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:01 am 

Hey Gindemon/all

The website has been updated. http://www.bbqbluegrass.com.au/bbq/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:38 pm 
Site Admin

Fantastic work Jay. I don't see any lines on that page that potential competitors may be tripped up by.
Very clear and easy to follow now.
Am I to assume now that there will be power and water?

There were power issues last year.

- 3rd Lamb
KCBS Melbourne 2016 - 7th/17 Outright
- 2nd Chicken

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:01 pm 

Power and close running water are a luxury you might not get at every event. It's not a requirement to host a ABA event. Teams can work around it by bringing their own water and using a generator. But before you go to that length, contact the promoter and they can clarify how far water is and what power is available. In most cases both are available, but that's depending on where you get allocated and it's different for each event.

My advice is to ring the promoter on that one.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:25 pm 

After talking to Adam at the ABA judges certification up here in Brissie this morning it sounds like:

Fletcher is keen to make sure the ABA is involved, and is happy to adjust things in Bangalow to suit a reasonable and fair competition environment.

Some of the "rules" posted were based around not fully appreciating the situation, rather than an intentional attempt to bend ABA conditions to suit.

TL:DR He's flexible.

We'll take the $250 - don't have to feed the crowd - will get situated away from the public - option! After getting hassled by the crowd last year $100 is a small price to pay for peace and quiet.

2014 Jack Daniels World Championship BBQ - 19th/94 overall, 1st/20 international teams
Melbourne 2015 - 3rd place
Port Macquarie 2015 - 1st place

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:42 pm 
Site Admin

I'd spend the $100 sounds like a great outcome for all

- 3rd Lamb
KCBS Melbourne 2016 - 7th/17 Outright
- 2nd Chicken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:24 pm 

Gindemon wrote:
After getting hassled by the crowd last year $100 is a small price to pay for peace and quiet.

Apologies, I resemble that remark!

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 11:57 am 

Talked to Fletcher the other night about the competition - He sounds really really keen to do whatever is needed to make sure teams are set up well, with what they need. Sounds like previous stuff on the website was more of a communication issue between him and his team.

Should be a good weekend!

On the website currently (well as of yesterday) it said if teams took the $150 option, the BBQ could be taken away from your site and served to the crowd distant to your cook site. Fletcher was going to get this changed, as he didn't think it was feasible. We'll definitely be taking the $250 option and not have the expectation of feeding the crowd while we're trying to organise hand in boxes.

Anyone else signing up?

2014 Jack Daniels World Championship BBQ - 19th/94 overall, 1st/20 international teams
Melbourne 2015 - 3rd place
Port Macquarie 2015 - 1st place

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:04 pm 
BBQ Ambassador

Potentially yes... Just have to look at logistics and costs for the two events that week!

Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:05 pm 

Hi Folks,

I'm Fletcher Potanin, the organiser of the Bangalow BBQ & Bluegrass Festival. I've just seen this forum and post so I apologise for not replying sooner.

The BBQ side of the Festival is fairly simple, but it does involve sharing your food with the general public if you're interested in helping us raise funds for Arts and Cultural initiatives in our local community. We're sponsoring Arts in Schools, Original Music Artists Bursaries and the Bangalow Theatre Company this year. Every sample of barbecue you share helps us raise $5 to cover festival costs and contribute to our causes.

I'll answer questions specifically that I see here. Feel free to ask me anything further, or write on [email protected].

Thanks,

Fletcher

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:09 pm 

Gindemon wrote:
Talked to Fletcher the other night about the competition - He sounds really really keen to do whatever is needed to make sure teams are set up well, with what they need. Sounds like previous stuff on the website was more of a communication issue between him and his team.

Should be a good weekend!

On the website currently (well as of yesterday) it said if teams took the $150 option, the BBQ could be taken away from your site and served to the crowd distant to your cook site. Fletcher was going to get this changed, as he didn't think it was feasible. We'll definitely be taking the $250 option and not have the expectation of feeding the crowd while we're trying to organise hand in boxes.

Anyone else signing up?

The $250 option puts you off the oval away from the public. The $150 put you on the oval with the public. We'll provide signs to clearly communicate "Cooking" or "Serving" or "Sold Out" to help keep away the hassle. The feedback from last year was overwhelming - people absolutely loved seeing the barbecue setups and being able to ask questions. It's definitely helping to build the interest in barbecue in this area, which is much needed - most people just don't have any idea what or how good it really is! So we appreciate your help in spreading the word about barbecue and in helping us with our efforts to raise funds for the community.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next