Aussie Pitmasters Forum

Australias Best BBQ Forum
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:44 pm

All times are UTC+10:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:13 pm 

Beaver wrote:
Fantastic work Jay. I don't see any lines on that page that potential competitors may be tripped up by.
Very clear and easy to follow now.
Am I to assume now that there will be power and water?

There were power issues last year.

Folks - sorry for the confusion on the website text. We're all volunteers down here and just lately my work has been very demanding so we're only just getting started on our marketing and ticketing.

There is limited power, and now that we've figured out what will work, it's first in best dressed for the best spots that have power handy. This is a 100yr old historic Showgrounds with very little funding. We're providing much needed funding for infrastructure improvements like better power supply, but it's a slow process. We'll have better power options with each year.

If you have any questions at all, just ask me on [email protected]

Fletcher

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:38 pm 

Beaver wrote:
admittedly i made an assumption of ABA, Fletcher was also at the port mac event telling me it was running.

Beaver, I wouldn't do it any other way. We have a long way to go in building a strong barbecue culture here in Australia and we all have to work together to make it happen. We have a lot of educating to do down here in my area, which is why I'm so keen on having my barbecue'ers on the field with the public. Folks last year just loved mixing it up and asking questions and we have a lot more interest this year as a result.

Fletcher

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:46 pm 

Beaver wrote:
It's a hard call. Does the event accept all liability for food you serve to the public or do they put the liability on you?
Has the public been informed that samples are provided by people do don't hold catering licenses or safe food and handling certificates.
Personally while it's for a great cause I'd be paying the extra $$$ unless I know that under no situation I'd be held liable.
Fletcher can obviously answer these questions so I would suggest giving him a call

We're all approved by Byron Shire Council for our approach. I have two tiers of public liability in place. Barebecue'ers are not on the hook. Having said that, I'm also the Festival's Food Safety Officer and I'm very strict on food handling, transport and storage. I inspect all sites before we cook and continue to do so during the day. You'll receive a list of the Food Safety Guidelines in advance. As members of the public sharing food (not selling it) you are held to a different standard and it is assumed the consumer is taking the risk. However I hold you to the same standards as a caterer. Food safety is the highest priority for me. If we have any incidents, we simple can't hold our Festival anymore. It's a good incentive to be very careful and get it all right.

Having said all that, slow cooked meat is very forgiving and considered a very low risk by local Environmental Safety Officers. Transport and handling of utensils and cutting boards and surfaces is the biggest issue we monitor. Thankfully, those areas are also easily controlled.

So that it's clear, we provide all the salads, plates and cutlery to our patrons so that we can control the food safety aspects of the entire process. On this basis, we have a high degree of certainty about delivering a very safe food product. It worked very well last year and we're working closely with our local council officers at every step.

Fletcher

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:50 pm 
Site Admin

ooohhhh!

thanks for the reply :)
will put a lot of peoples minds at ease

- 3rd Lamb
KCBS Melbourne 2016 - 7th/17 Outright
- 2nd Chicken

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:06 pm 

Goodness. I can see now why it's confusing between events. I apologise, folks. I'll try to clarify and make it easy.

First, there's some good answers from Beaver below. Let me clarify about the equipment. We're short on electricity at the venue, that's all - it's an ancient showgrounds. But that part is mainly for folks new to bbq'ing who might think to bring their electric ovens - we had those questions last year. The 25cm rule is a council requirement and yes specifically designed to indicate that open fires are agains council regulations and showgrounds guidelines. As long as it's clearly off the ground, you'll be fine. Any questions about gear, just ask me. [email protected]

We do have some power to some sites, just not all. First in best dressed on sites. And please just write to me if you require power. Most sites are level, 35 or so. Another 12 are nearly level, and 6 or so are on a small incline that will need attention for some gear. We can let you know well in advance.

Second, all guidelines for cooking and presenting are the ABA guidelines. If there's anything out of line, just let me know. I don't compete myself so it's not easy for me to see the differences. Again, sorry for any confusion. We can easily make it simple once we see where the wrinkles are.

Quantity - we only ask that you cook as much as you comfortably can and not compromise your cook. We're passionate about two things: raising barbecue awareness (cookers and consumers) and raising funds for our local arts initiatives. If you can help us play that game, we'd love it, but we're not fanatical about amounts. 10kg is just a guide. If it's not your thing, that's ok too and we'd still love to have you along. It's going to be a helluva fun weekend. We have some music setup on the oval now for Friday night primarily to keep you folks entertained as you cook.

Awards and prizes - We gave 1st $250, 2nd $150 and 3rd $100 for each of four categories last year. It will be the same this year as a minimum. But we do give all bbq entry fees and more away. We're also working on prizes but haven't finalised all of that yet. Stay tuned. Any fun prizes, like best pit, etc, are generally given to encourage those who've made a tremendous effort. Did you see the team last year dressed up as Pirates? They were a great hit with the kids. I'll go a long way to encourage those people who have a good crack. This is all for fun, guys.

I sure wish I could simplify everything so it's crystal clear. I'll take all this feedback on board and work on that in the coming days. Any other issues, questions or concerns, please do let me know.

Fletcher
[email protected]

Beaver wrote:
for people looking to compete i suggest reading the entry details carefully

http://www.bbqbluegrass.com.au/bbq/
Quote:
Equipment – You bring all BBQ equipment with you. It must be clean and will be inspected. There is no electricity. Open fires are not allowed for safety reasons – enclosed flames only. Your heat source must be at least 25cm off the ground. You have a dedicated stall space. We recommend a standard market-type tent (3m x 3m) for shade. Camping space is available within 100m of your stall.

no electricity, from what im reading cookers such as the WSM or Proq "may" not be possible if the heatsource is not raised more than 25cm off the ground (someone with these cookers should measure them)

Quote:
Ingredients: Your creativity with spices and sauces will be taken into consideration. Bottled BBQ Sauces (store bought) are not allowed, but ingredients from bottles are ok – ie tomato sauce as a base for your own sauce. You may keep your spice and sauce ingredients secret, but the Official Judges may ask to inspect them. Keep all ingredients nearby in an opaque container at all times. When plating, spices or sauces may be served on the meat or on the side as your dish requires.

no commercial sauces to be used

Quote:
Quantity – If you’re participating on the Festival Oval with our patrons for a reduced entry fee, in addition to your competition serves, we ask that you plan to prepare and serve a minimum of 10kg of your chosen BBQ category (pre-cooked weight). This should render 30-40 small tasting plates on average. Our patrons absolutely love tasting all the barbecue, seeing all the barbecue setups and talking barbecue with our competitors. (We will provide all plates, serviettes and forks. Salads will be prepared by us as sides for all plates.)

how much you have to give away is here

Quote:
Food Safety – All Teams will be held to Australian Food Safety Standards. Equipment and tables must be clean. You will need 3 x Trestle Tables – for raw food prep, for cooked food prep/plating and one for serving to patrons and Judges. Food rated latex gloves must be worn at all times. A Food Safety Officer will be observing at all times. You will be emailed specific food handling guidelines and will be briefed on Food Safety Standards at 8.30am on Saturday of the Festival. If you’re not familiar with Food Safety Standards, don’t fret – they’re mostly just good old common sense. And thankfully, most slow cooked barbecue easily complies with the Standards.

3x trestle tables required (may be squishy in a 3x3 marquee)
Wear gloves at all times
i know from last year that we were required to have a "floor" which in this cases consisted of a tarp that was pegged down on the ground under the marquee

Quote:
The Entry Fee is just $148 for a team of 4 (on-oval, or $250 off-oval), and you can enter as many of our 4 BBQ Categories as you like:

non serving teams will be put off the oval away from the serving area, this is a great idea so that patrons dont accidentally ask for food from non serving teams

Quote:
Make it Fun – This BBQ Festival is all about the celebration of good food. It’s meant to be fun. So special awards will be given for a) Best Dressed BBQ Team b) Best BBQ Kit c) Best Decorated Stall and d) Best Sauce. Get into the BBQ spirit. Have fun. With a field of BBQ and Bluegrass, it’s all good no matter what happens, so keep it light.

probably need to clarify what the awards are

NOTE: prizes for categories are not listed only 1st place prize of $1000, also may want to clarify this however as stated "100% of entry fees will be returned in prize money!" so it will depend on how many pay full price vs giving to patrons
NOTE2: if the event is hosted on the SAME oval as last time i would note that the top carpark may be used for the off oval entrants. this is a fairly uneven surface in many parts so bring items to level out setup. alternatively you may be put on another oval behind or adjacent to the main oval in which case brilliant :). i would suggest clarifying this with Fletcher

*wipes forehead*
i think ive covered all the rules that are noteworthy for potential entrants

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:11 pm 

Gindemon wrote:
I was initially buoyed by the fact that the competition is ABA sanctioned.

Not now.

Hi Gindemon. It's simpler than it looks and we can probably work around any of your concerns. Just let me know. Pretty easy going down here. Just want to put on a good show.

Fletcher
[email protected]

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:15 pm 

Chromis wrote:
Thankyou Beaver for pointing out the finer details... All those points are really important... And the way that fine print is going, I bet they will get upset if there is 15 generator's humming all night and day!! I don't understand what's with all the red bloody tape!
No open flames and must be at least 25cms high, also no electricity? So that simply rules out alot of cookers, and any means of sleeping tight with PID controllers or pellet poopers....
Feeding 40 people? That is an effort and also a pit dedicated to just that in itself!! You'll need a person just to cover that so the comp handins can have full attention! I'd rather pay the extra $102 to not have the extra concerns and lug another pit up there.. Anyone got a Gasser hotplate snag sizzler rusting away?
There's so much more to say... But less is more.
I'm with gindemon...

We're pretty easy going, Chromis, and don't expect you to change your equipment. Just let us know what you need and we can fit in. Open flames are fine, just not an open fire on the ground. Again, if you have something unusual, let us know. We can work through it.

We do have limited access to electricity, though - we're on a 100yr old agricultural showgrounds and they just don't have much in the way power. Many sites do have electricity, though, so just let us know if you need it. I will admit, when I first put the Festival together last year I simply wasn't aware of modern pellet smokers and their power requirements.

We're not into red tape. We just have a limited environment.

Fletcher
[email protected]

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:18 pm 

Gindemon wrote:
Oh Brett you forgot about this doozey as well:

Quote:
When plating, spices or sauces may be served on the meat or on the side as your dish requires

Even though ABA rules....................

Sorry guys. I thought that was the ABA rules? Perhaps that's last year's language. Maybe I should re-word it. Can anyone help me out with how it should be written now?

Fletcher
[email protected]

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:25 pm 

jaybeau wrote:
I used my common sense for my event in terms of ProQ's and WSM's. The rules are there as a precaution as the ABA can't predict what every surface will be like for every team. I think your idea is very valid of saying to 'bring pavers or a steel tray for anything that sits too low'. That's something we can easily fix.

There is a moving line of what teams do and don't want to do in terms of giving samples ... and also the different promoters requests to, or not to have the teams serve food (as they have food trucks). We are trying to manage the expectations of the teams as best we can, given we all do want to see more events.

The sauce thing is a weird one, i'll get Adam to clarify that with the promoter. The rules are pretty clear on our part.

Sauce, yes anything by ABA rules is fine. How should that be worded?

Any of the equipment listed above is fine. In fact, any formally manufactured equipment will likely be quite ok because there are no open flames nor is it on the ground. Any questions, just ask. I'd recommend that any equipment you've bought will be just fine.

Fletcher
[email protected]

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:31 pm 

Goodness, Gindemon. This is the very first I've seen these comments. They could all have been easily sorted. Sorry for the confusion.

If there's a contradiction with the ABA rules it's not intentional. Belligerent? Hardly. Autonomy? Lol, I have a festival to run and a massive number of things to organise - there's a thousand moving parts to a day like this. Nothing is intentional. Yes, most of what you see there is a holdover of last years language and no knowledge of what it should be. Simplicity is my goal. Please just let me know anything that's not clear and we'll sort it out immediately. Our sole aim here is to make a very fun event for everyone, give back to our community and promote the love of barbecue. Anything you can do to help us in that, Gindemon, is much appreciated. Just contact me directly if we miss anything, please.

Fletcher
[email protected]

Gindemon wrote:
Thanks for your responses Jay.
Quote:
The rules are pretty clear on our part.

The ABA rules are very clear, and remove all sorts of ambiguity from the competition scene. It's why people like doing ABA comps.
What about (as with the current situation) a promoter has published rules on an event website that clearly contradict ABA rules, and ABA rules that you assure us the promoter has agreed to?
Quote:
No sauce containers, no pools of sauce in the box. All sauce must be on the meat

Quote:
When plating, spices or sauces may be served on the meat or on the side as your dish requires.

This is just an example.
Why would a promoter publish rules to their event that clearly contradict rules they have (as you mention in your previous post) agreed to? Is it an oversight, a belligerent effort to maintain autonomy up against ABA guidelines, or a continuation of behaviour that was evident from last years event?
I really hope that you guys and the organiser can come to an agreement over the contentious issues of the Bangalow event raised in this thread. It'd be awesome to be able to encourage mates and newcomers to the competitive scene to compete here. It'd be awesome to sign up and compete at this event also! We've already taken time off work for it. We'll wait and see what happens with the rules posted from the organiser.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next