Aussie Pitmasters Forum

Australias Best BBQ Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:33 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:17 am 

I just returned to Australia after 3 years in Texas, moved down to Melbourne for work. Originally from QLD, my brother and I have both moved down here.

We have been talking for a while about building a UDS together. I was spoilt for choice on BBQ in Texas and have lived in apartments for the past 7 years, so not ideal for BBQ. We just moved into a house and with it being a rainy weekend, the bro and I are going to get started on this UDS. He has the basket/weber lid etc. and the fittings we need. I just picked up a drum this morning.

Drum cost me $20 from Visy Industrial Packaging in Laverton a.k.a. VIP Packaging. I told them it was for a BBQ, and that I wanted an open top, unpainted drum (actually got the tip off from online here). Apparently it's been sandblasted and run through a furnace at 600 deg. Interestingly when the fork driver was helping me load it into the back of my car, he says "If you have kids make sure you clean the back of the car, drums had chemicals in it, blah blah", I said "But you sandblasted it and run it through the furnace", he says yeah but look at my hands, he has steel dust on his hands from the drum. It's wrapped in a movers blanket, so I'm not too concerned about dust getting through the car. Think the fork driver could have been talking out of his arse.

I'll post a photo later, but I think it will have a bit of dust on it from the sandblasting.

Reading on some forums, some people won't touch a drum unless they know what's been in it. Anyway, worst case scenario it sits in my garage and becomes useful for something else and I'll go source a 'food grade' drum.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:40 pm 

Pics of the drum. Learning a lot today about drums and how they are refurbished etc.

Reportedly this drum has been put through at 600 degree furnace and sandblaster, unsure of in what order.

Don't know enough about sandblasting, but from some googling, it seems that rougher grey surface would be typical of a sandblasted drum. When I sanded it back a little, it came up with the shinier surface that, in my mind, was what I expected the drum to look like.

Theoretically I would have expected some rust on there, but I think it's just come off the production line. I've run some sandpaper on the internal, and external of the drum and wet some patches to test - hopefully I get some slight rust by tomorrow arvo that would indicate a lack of rust-proofing chemical. If no rust develops, I'll call the guys when they open again on Monday and ask them.

It looks like there is some chemical around the lip that appears to have been on the gloves that the guy who brought the drum out to me was wearing - a yellow chemical, which looks like some kind of oil, maybe a hydraulic fluid or something. You can see the water beading up on it. Hopefully it cleans off with some detergent.

As you can see from the chux I ran over it, there is still a bunch of surface dust on the drum that I think I'll need to wash off with detergent. I think that will be tomorrow's task, which will possibly be followed by a burn in with a weed burner.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:28 pm 

Well I guess there is no rust inhibitor in there - this is a couple of hours after running a wet cloth over a couple of sections.