Aussie Pitmasters Forum

Australias Best BBQ Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:23 pm

All times are UTC+10:00

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:24 pm 

Had a crack at my most ambitious cook yet. A 7.5kg Costco Brisket and 2.5kg pork neck. Got some Oakridge seasonings to try (Black Ops for brisket & Secret Weapon for the pork)

[Disclaimer} im m a mere hack at BBQ so any advice/correction appreciated.

Heres what im working with. Brisket trimmed up.

Pork neck

Seasoned up....

And the Komodo Joe loaded up ready to go (mix of Hickory & Apple wood chunks)

Was aiming for around 280f for the cook, put the meet on @ 10pm and set my alarm for 4am. Got up at 4am for a quick check. Seems like I overshot on pit & meat temp so both were wrapped in foil.

Decided to try and squeeze in a few more hours of sleep which was a big mistake as when I awoke at around 6:30 I had overshot a fair bit (brisket measuring 209 in the point). Was also disappointed it was ready so early as I was was planning on serving around 2pm so all up the brisket took approx 8.5 hours possibly to the higher temp. anyway wrapped in towels and into the esky they went.

Unfortunately no other pics apart from the one below where yours truly is shredding the pork. Brisket was good but way too tender as it was trying to shred when being sliced and was also a touch dry probably due to sitting for nearly 8 hours in the esky. pork was like butter and very good. Everyone said they both were amazing however I was a bit disappointed and thought they could be better.

Also when I pulled it off the pit I separated the point, cubed and tried to make burnt ends but this made me quickly realise how poor my knife skills were as I had trouble finding the line between the point and flat. Also when slicing I wasnt sure quite what to do when I reached the thicker part of the flat (which could have still had some point left on) so I cut in half and sliced as per the pic.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:31 pm 

Brave man heading off to sleep. My kamado has a mind of its own. It's either going up or coming down. Requires monitoring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:02 pm 

KiwiSmokers wrote:
Brave man heading off to sleep. My kamado has a mind of its own. It's either going up or coming down. Requires monitoring.

Yep that was my mistake. First time I didnt use the fan "temp controller" in the Qmaster and seems like I paid a price as a result :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:50 am 

I personally aim for a temp of 225f for brisket, a lot of articles online recommend different temps. I have seen ranges from 200f up to 350f so there isnt a correct answer.

Kamados are supposed to hold solid temps but i am not totally sold on that. If i am doing an overnight cook i will put it in my pellet grill and then transfer over if required.

My last brisket was 7.3kg and went on at midnight, was done at 4pm. Rested for almost 2hours. Moist plenty of flavour.

Your cutting of the brisket looks alright by the way.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:19 pm 

Lunch cooks are the worst I reckon for tough cuts as they require long cook times meaning that unless you own a pellet smoker its going be a looooong night...

Did a couple of pork necks im my new Flaming Coals smoker last week. Was an interesting cook and managed to keep the temp to reasonable limits using only split wood from around the year (mix of spotted gum & ironbark)

Problems arose when I wrapt however as there was so much juice from the pork they were both literally swimming in liquid when done washing away all the bark and seasoning :o :(

Never had this happen before so was not sure if it was due to the meat or the new cooking method (had a large water pan in the smoker). Thankfully still tasted good but next time im not wrapping...

Attachments:
IMG_2629.jpg
IMG_2629.jpg [ 429.6 KiB | Viewed 1622 times ]