Aussie Pitmasters Forum

Australias Best BBQ Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:31 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: mM first brisket
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:50 pm 

Picked up some goodies at Australian Meat Emporium the other day, will do the brisket ($15.99/kg) today, dunno when I will do the beef ($16.99/kg) and pork ribs though.

You can't really see it in the photos, but the beef ribs have minimal fat cap on them, its more membrane/transparent, more meaty goodness!!!! They had cape byron beef ribs for $20.99/kg.

The pork ribs are labelled as "pork loin ribs" $19.99/kg, just look at the thickness of them!!!!

I took my phone for a swim yesterday and it for some reason does now not want to work :shock:, I'll get a few pics on the misses phone though, progress screen shot of pit controller attached for now..

mM

Post subject: Re: mM first brisket
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:03 pm 

Looks awesome. I am in the hunt for similar pork ribs in Melbourne.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:22 pm 

Kiwi if you want good ribs go to a few local butchers and ask if they have whole pork belly, if they do ask to see it. If its lean (not much fat layers) your in the right place, if its 3 inches thick and half of that is fat be polite and walk out.Ok your in the right place with the nice lean pork belly, ask the butcher for the rib half will prob weigh 2.5-3.5k. Ask if he could take the skin off (as this is a little tricky and he'll do a great job). Now go home with real full meat pork ribs, trim them a bit to how you like. Make crackle with the skin, keep trimings for other projects and will probly work out cheaper per k than the bones they call ribs at some places

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:05 pm 

hoddo wrote:
Kiwi if you want good ribs go to a few local butchers and ask if they have whole pork belly, if they do ask to see it. If its lean (not much fat layers) your in the right place, if its 3 inches thick and half of that is fat be polite and walk out.Ok your in the right place with the nice lean pork belly, ask the butcher for the rib half will prob weigh 2.5-3.5k. Ask if he could take the skin off (as this is a little tricky and he'll do a great job). Now go home with real full meat pork ribs, trim them a bit to how you like. Make crackle with the skin, keep trimings for other projects and will probly work out cheaper per k than the bones they call ribs at some places

Thanks mate. I have been working on a similar plan with my butcher. He has cut me some good ribs from the loin, but I am looking for the whole spare rib. Think I will take your tactic. Love ribs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:53 pm 

The brisket tasted great, still moist and not dried out - probably a good thing it was wrapped for the last 2hrs.

Took it off at 80C and rested it wrapped in a towel for a good hour.

Turns out there is no fat veins running through this cut of brisket, so while tasting awesome it was a bit a chewy.

Would cooking it longer change anything?
Unwrapped for the whole cook?
Did I even have a brisket to start with?

mM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:35 pm 

I am no expert but from what understand 204f or 95c is the magic zone to ensure tenderness??As long as it taste good [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:50 pm 

looks like a decent brisket cut to me, but definitely looks undercooked and not ready to 'let go' yet. Keep cooking till it jiggles!