Aussie Pitmasters Forum

Australias Best BBQ Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:43 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Finally, a good brisket
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:07 pm 

So have done a couple of briskets on the kamado but while they've been ok, overall wasn't getting the juicy ones I see (and envy) on this board and other places. Was my third attempt on the wkd and was very excited when it came out, a good bark and cutting it was bliss with all the juices even in the flat dribbling through (I got emotional when cutting the point). AND even spotted some wee bits of smoke ring, another first for me.

If I was to try put down success of this one to anything in particular would be putting it on cold (better smoke ring?), going easy on the salt/pepper rub, wrapping it properly (in paper) and giving it a decent rest in a towel and esky. All stuff I've read before but somehow not managed to pull off. The meat itself did look pretty good but wasn't anything special, just a 4.5kg one from the Avon Valley beef place in Midland (Perth/WA), and was actually the cheapest I've got brisket at $12/kg

Now I've just got to get through the 4kg of left overs so I can get onto the next one!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:01 pm 

Nicely done mate. I'm in Brisbane, Queensland. I did a flat yesterday myself. I do like to leave it rest for a couple of hours but That won't have anything to do with the smoke ring of course. Sometimes I get a smoke ring and other times nothing. It doesn't impart any actual flavor to the meat mind you but it sure does look good when you get a nice deep smoke ring.

Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:15 pm 

What fuel are you using in the Kamado? If it's just beads or lump, try some wood chunks to create smoke.