Aussie Pitmasters Forum

Australias Best BBQ Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:34 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: The Music Thread
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:37 am 

G'day,

Music, Sport and Art are my other passions other that cooking and drinking.

I thought it was a bit odd that we didn't have a music thread.

I'm interested to know what sort of music you're all into.

Personally I've always been into a lot of Punk, Hip Hop and it's subgenres. These days because I can't listen to a lot of well let's just call it the 'edgier' stuff around my wife. Reggae and Funk tends to be the order of the day.

What do you guys listen to?, I like to think these days I'm a bit more open in tastes of music. I'd be interested to know where its at in your stereo.

Post subject: Re: The Music Thread
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:49 am 
Thank God I'm not a Moderator/Admin anymore

Whilst my music tastes are very broad, I'll listen to big band music from the 40's, a little bit of jazz, a reasonable amount of Aussie 70's music from my teen era but I make absolutely no apologies for my love of Country Music if it comes from Slim Dusty, Stan Coster and all the bush balladeers, John Williamson for his story telling, and lots of traditional American Country especially Bluegrass where Ricky Skaggs is a firm favourite.
It's the music I play when the Webers are singing along.
'
I get very confused about what is referred as the 'Blues' as most interpretations today seem to be of alternate rock whereas the 'Blues' from the American Negros seem to be a more genuine thing to me however none of which I can listen a lot of.

So if ya not a hillbilly....you might not like my collection :mrgreen:

Cheers

Davo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:44 pm 

Mate I'd be into that big band stuff.

You might like Royal Crown Revue, you should check them out!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:15 pm 

I do enjoy these threads. Nothing shows the diversity of a community more and it's always fun to hear the songs they post

I like certain musicians in a particular genre and can listen to it on the whole, ie, reggae/ska, country, hillbilly, rockabilly(the old stuff), rap and even some electro when the mood takes but it isn't what I choose to listen to predominately

That has and always will be punk in most of it's derivitaves. Pop punk can suck a big one but having said that Cheshire Cat by Blink 182 is the best of the lot. Saw them too when they toured this record and played Adel. Uni Bar. Was disgusted to have to pay $10 and I also paid for a young lady I was courting. They played for ages and really had a lot of fun and so did the crowd. Never got anywhere with this young lady so I am glad I at least had a good time at this gig

Matt, if ya like reggae then you need to listen to this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZC6Ot1MLP0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmsiyhOfXLw

His influence across all those genres you mentioned will be apparent

Give this guy a listen too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4tpzmO0JTI

Lyrics are a bit silly and double entendre's abound but it is good music

If you are having a disagreement with your partner and want to keep it going, listen to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTyCc_AA5A8

The last record(and only one this year :( :( ) I bought

Go to the To Live a Lie records facebook page and look for a post on March 2 2014. They released a zip file of 100 of their records for free download. Instant punk rock credibility

I hope others post up vids of their musical preferences

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:08 pm 

I have a pretty broad taste, but mainly listen to punk/alternative stuff. Hate pretty much all the pop crap that's around these days.

Love australian music. Keen supporter of The Living End, Kingswood, Smith Street Band, Dune Rats and many more.

Kingswood are a rad bunch of lads;

Also enjoy a little bit of hip hip kinda stuff, currently got Action Bronson in the CD player of my car. He's a fully trained chef and a hip hop artist with a rad sound.

He also has a food show on you tube called 'F*ck thats delicious' which is pretty cool.

But yeah, I'm usually willing to give anything a listen, I just love listening to music.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:11 am 

I can not stand that Action Bronson bloke. Not a fan of his music also.

Hey Thinblueline pretty familiar with those dudes. Got quite a bit of those Soul Jazz Comps.

Went to that same Blink Show in Caringbah. The Living End of all bands supported them. Similar price from memory. Awesome stuff.

I went to see Guttermouth last weekend. I was older than everyone in the band other than the singer. However caught this band called Deadly Visions. If you like that Madball type stuff you'd dig it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDX2A0gxMjM

Because it's Sunday. It's a Jackie Mittoo type o day!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:37 pm 
Site Admin

- 3rd Lamb
KCBS Melbourne 2016 - 7th/17 Outright
- 2nd Chicken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:45 pm 

I first saw this in 1984 or '85. Either way I was still in primary school. Up to this point I was listening to kids music, the Wombles were a particular favourite

Watching this movie completely changed my perception on what music is and can be. I was so blown away by the energy and excitement of this performance and it remains one of my all time favourite movies and albums ever. I developed a big crush on the bassist too

The fact that it is also Patrick Batemans' favourite band should not be held against them

Matt and Jars, an old friend from Mildura used to know the guys from the Living End when they were a cover band :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:11 am 

TLDW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:43 pm 

Fair enough but only posting one or two songs would have rendered their performance trivial and would be out of context

I had ridden a skateboard for as long as I could remember but in 1988 I saw my first skateboarding magazine. Issue one of a magazine I think was called Australian Skatin' Life. It was another revolutionary leap for me as it changed the way I viewed skateboarding but more importantly I remember the album reviews. There was a review of the Dead Kennedys Fresh Fruit For Rotting vegetables and Songs About "Please Remove" by Big Black. The rude word was covered with with that sticker in order to be sold in stores. I remember the last sentence of that Big Black review well. "Big Black don't just wanna scare you, they want you DEAD MAN, DEAD!! I was intrigued

I finally got to listen to punk music when I returned to the city and a friend played for me Fresh Fruit..., Suicidal Tendencies, D.R.I. and some others and it gave me goose bumps an adrenaline rush like you would not believe. The chaotic urgency and pissed off nature of these records was a catharsis. It wasn't a sing along either. More like driving head first into a brick wall at 100 and walking away with minor bruising

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgpa7wEAz7I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoF_a0-7xVQ

The relationship with my mother was tenuous at best but her hearing these songs was the tipping point and without any sense of irony from her tried to do what the lyrical content of the Suicidal song suggests. I still listen to these records and enjoy them as much as I did back then