Aussie Pitmasters Forum

Australias Best BBQ Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:15 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:32 am 

So I've been looking on-line at the different types of pizzas oven kits whether it be DIY or ready made and the two I have the most interest in are the refractory mould (can come in 1 or up to 3 pieces) or the ones with refractory brick and refractory cement.

Just wondering if any knows what the pros or cons would be for the mould vs the brick + cement combination?

I'm guessing the thickness factor along with weight and heat retention would make a difference?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:47 am 

I have mates with both types. Both cook pizzas well but the brick ones hold their heat alot longer, and if you insulate between the outer & inner skin of a brick one, they can hold their heat for days.

We did a job at a power station a few years ago and one of my work mates took a piece of insulation from a turbine that runs at 1500 Celsius or something like that and he threw that in between the inner fire bricks and the outer brick skin when he was building it. He cooks pizzas on Friday night, then puts a roast in it on Saturday night, then his neighbours cook in it on Sunday night, without having to relight the fire after the Friday.

The convenience of just building a base and plonking one down is pretty handy though...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:05 am 

Barney wrote:
I have mates with both types. Both cook pizzas well but the brick ones hold their heat alot longer, and if you insulate between the outer & inner skin of a brick one, they can hold their heat for days.

We did a job at a power station a few years ago and one of my work mates took a piece of insulation from a turbine that runs at 1500 Celsius or something like that and he threw that in between the inner fire bricks and the outer brick skin when he was building it. He cooks pizzas on Friday night, then puts a roast in it on Saturday night, then his neighbours cook in it on Sunday night, without having to relight the fire after the Friday.

The convenience of just building a base and plonking one down is pretty handy though...

Yeah I've seen videos of people that have like three layers (Brick + insulation + mortar) and they hold temps for like three days!

There's obviously an added cost there if you want the convenience of having sustainable temps for more than a day.

I've been looking around and there's kits that you can buy from around $1800 up to around $3000 but obviously you get a range of inclusions and exclusions based on where you buy.

I'm leaning towards the Brick + insulation + mortar purely for the fact it should hold temps a lot longer.

but then again you have the cost saving factor for the pre fab moulds....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:42 am 

BigBadGus wrote:
I'm leaning towards the Brick + insulation + mortar purely for the fact it should hold temps a lot longer.

but then again you have the cost saving factor for the pre fab moulds....

Not to mention the time saving.....

It's always good to get the best of everything however if I ever do add a pizza oven to the collection I would probably get the pre fab, mainly cos it probably wouldn't get used more than once or twice a month and I have no need for it to stay hot for days afterwards.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

i have 2 pallets of refractory bricks that im looking to sell if anyone is interested

- 3rd Lamb
KCBS Melbourne 2016 - 7th/17 Outright
- 2nd Chicken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:12 pm 

Beaver wrote:
i have 2 pallets of refractory bricks that im looking to sell if anyone is interested

You've got my attention Beaver, sent you a PM with a few questions.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:35 pm 

Beaver wrote:

Sweet...how much for shipping? :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:43 am 

So I've narrowed it down to three companies that supply DIY kits for pizza ovens;

Melbourne Fire Brick company
Sydney Fire Bricks
ABC ovens

All don't supply the material to build a stand for the kit as it would double the amount of material the would need to ship and most can be sourced from a local trade supplier (Besser blocks, steel rods and concrete is all that is really required to build a base)

The stand out is the first one on the list being a bit more expensive but the kit includes everything you need including templates and useful guides, it also includes refractory bricks and refractory cast-able instead of just the cast dome in a few pieces.

Will hopefully make the decision in the next few weeks and work out how much it will cost me to build a stand and pour the concrete slab that will support the pizza oven.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:34 am 

Thanks for the discussion, it increases my knowledge of pizza ovens. Well, I have been using a pizza oven for more than 2 years, this oven is from Wisco........ I have enjoyed good performance till now!