Aussie Pitmasters Forum

Australias Best BBQ Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:48 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:14 pm 

So, I am incredibly new to smoking as well, in fact I am yet to smoke anything at all other than the standard chip additions to a webber while cooking.

I purchased this unit yesterday with my flatmate and I'm a little confused (concerned?) by your comment Santo. The woodchip pot is unusable on the unit because it catches fire, yet the unit is still worthwhile? I understand you can get other smoking devices such as the amazen tube to put into the unit, but obviously I'd like to get smoking sooner rather than later, is there nothing that can be done to make that woodchip pot less likely to catch fire? Perhaps somehow making it higher off the flame or something? Or, is there a way of getting it to work decently without having to purchase additional equipment as that will be unlikely in the short term?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

EDIT: Sorry, I see you did mention the pellet method, but I'd like to use chips if it is possible... cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:23 pm 

I use wood chips and have never had the pot catch fire. If I use it on high for a quicker cook, I do soak the chips for a little bit first.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:54 pm 

G'day all, santo I soaked my wood chips and they worked fine, I think the true answer for one of these cheaper smokers is to have the gas to maintain temp and use a cold smoker( YouTube ) DIY and let that look after the smoke, I am very new too smoking as well and very keen, the right answers are on this amazing and helpful forum, all the best

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:33 pm 

Hey guys.

I tried a few different methods with the smoking chip tray. Soaking. Not soaking. Praying. Etc.

In every instance I personally found that the chips would not smoke, instead they would alight and I would be lucky to get 15 mins smoke out of them.

Without purchasing anything as an accessory add on, I found by making small foil pouches with wood chips or pellets in them that had holes poked in the top, I could have a few pouches ready and drop them in every 20 mins or so for the first hour.

Again this is just my experiences. I'm not knocking the smoker I think they are great in fact I still have mine... I was merely trying to help you get the most out of it based on what I had learned with it after 20 or so cooks.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:39 pm 

Sorry just to add something as well to clarify... As I'm not doubting you can get smoke to come out of it.

Just because there is smoke coming out the top of your smoker doesn't mean that it's the right kind of smoke.

When i used mine I knew the chips were burning because the smoke coming out of the top was a thick white color and smelled terrible.

The kind of smoke you are chasing is a gentle wafting, pale white blue color that you can see through and is pleasant.

I'm betting the smoke you had coming out was thick and white like Thomas the tank engine was trying to come out.... That's what happened when I tried which it why I found the accessories really useful. It let me control the fire (heat) and the smoke level separately.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:15 pm 

Santo thanks mate, was interested to read that.....yes although mine does produce a far bit of smoke (smells ok), it lasts for about an hour after soaking the chips for at least an hour before hand......so you reckon foil pouches are the go, I'll try that and see how it goes and see how much of a difference it makes to the smoke levels

Best early Xmas present the family ever got me :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:57 pm 

No worries mate. To be honest if you can get an hour of smoke out of one filling you are doing very well already mate! Best of luck with it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:44 am 

Santo do you chuck your pouches into the woodchip container when using them?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:52 pm 

Personally I'd use the woodchip container like a heat shield. I wouldn't put them in it, I'd put the pouches on the top of the lid of the chip container if that make sense?

Also my biggest suggestion is to have a play without food in the unit messing around with temperatures and getting pouches working first. The Last thing you want is to create bad smoke while the food is in the unit!

This is why I always advocate the amazen tube product. Its idiot proof, put pellets in it, light one end and you have perfect smoke for hours. The foil pouches just try to replicate this so I personally only did pouch method a few times before moving onto the tube.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:06 pm 

Makes sense Santo, Ill def look at the tube. I used the pouches just then in the container, smoke lasted longer and wasn't as intense so seemed to do the trick....I'll try on top next to see how much of a difference it makes.