Aussie Pitmasters Forum

Australias Best BBQ Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:44 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:27 pm 

Just finished tucking into ribs from my Tri Fire and be it still a cheaper offset - I Love It !! agreed there is no comparison between the big Texas smoker and at double the price I too would expect it to be better build and of heavier materials. Mind you that said if I was forking over $1500 of my hard earned $$ on a Chinese one - I'd rather be buying local - just my 10 cents worth.

-- Mal

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:50 pm 

Thanks for the follow up mate. I've been a bit slack but will be picking up a Texas pro pit. I checked them out last time I was in Perth and in happy to pay extra for the larger pit and I wasn't all that impressed with the tri fire personally.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:20 am 

Yeah given another choice and dollars - for an offset - I would agree but, as the song goes however "love the one you're with..."

-- Mal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:45 pm 

Have you used it much in wind rain and cold?
Ive got the texas coal seems to be the same smoker rebranded, it took a while to get to temp on a windy day, and even with the buffle plates it was very hard to get the temp up on the far side.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:50 pm 
Site Admin

imo take out the ash tray to get really good airflow to that firebox and just run it by adding wood. a good coal base should get her roaring :)

- 3rd Lamb
KCBS Melbourne 2016 - 7th/17 Outright
- 2nd Chicken

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:32 pm 

Even without taking the ashtray out you get plenty of air in the firebox. Im planing on taking the fire box off and making a high temp silicone gasket between, to pervent any heat loss, you can notice it once u put smoke chips on, some leaks around doors and between the two boxes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:30 pm 

I sealed mine before burning it in using high temp silicone.

I crack the bottom of the ash tray a little if I need more air in there. Shame the firebox doesnt have the side door and a bit larger vent instead of the top door. I get a chimney full of lump wood charcoal cranking on the wok burner of my gas BBQ and pour it into the firebox right in front of the hole where the heat goes into the cooking chamber. Straight away on with a couple of small bits of jarrah or what ever you plan to use (just make sure it burns hot and leaves lots of good coals- found out fruit wood isnt good for hot coals. Then I switch over to robot turds and the odd bit lump wood to keep the coal base up and then use fruit wood for pork or I can use slightly less charcoal and turds and use more jarrah for beef.

A small, constantly hot fire with smaller bits of wood is better to run than a big hot then cold fire using large chunks of wood. Something that is 1/4 the size of the firebox is possible with Jarrah to exceed 300F depending how high you stack timber. Gave mine a good cleanout today then gave it a re burning after washing the grates, with a tall fire about 1/4 of the firebox it went to 400F when I walked past and opened up the door to stop it getting too warm.

Had a few bad cooks with it, first one was ok, second the fire went out, third got too hot etc... now learning to keep things about +/- 30F which Im happy with. Using charcoal really helps out, you dont need to try and run on chunks of wood all the time. When its cooler in temp you just run a slightly more active fire, when its warmer you can get by with a slightly smaller one.

Aaron Franklin is right-this is BBQ and its not serious at all. Enjoy yourself, and cook a feed. No pressure- just get some charcoal, some wood, some meat and some beer. Light a fire, cook the meat, drink the beer, eat the meat. Easy.