Aussie Pitmasters Forum

Australias Best BBQ Forum
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:15 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:59 pm 

you need to get your fire burning nicely first, and the smoker at temp. THEN put your flavour wood on, but don't pile it directly on the hot burning coals, instead put it to the side where its leaning against a semi burning coal. This will help it to smoulder nicely instead of a "full chromis burn" where the flavour wood will just burn and you will get that thick white smoke.

I've been doing the above on the last few cooks or so and been getting good results. See how you go :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:07 am 
Site Admin

I have heard of people squashing an amazing tube and placing it under the burn grate for smoke to generate a steady stream

- 3rd Lamb
KCBS Melbourne 2016 - 7th/17 Outright
- 2nd Chicken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:59 am 

I disagree with a lot of whats being said here. You spend all that time getting it to temp to either put in a cold deflector plate which then can be difficult maintain the temp you want. Either that or you make your fire with it in, only to remove it and let a lot of oxygen in it and make it difficult to maintain.

My suggestion is to start your fire in the middle like you normally would. Your chunks put a few inches away from the fire. As the fire grows outward it will hit those chunks later on in the cook. No need to move plates etc.

Beaver however has sent some great ideas to me about using heat beads and chunks. I'm yet to try it however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:17 am 

I use a keg, and start it with a gas weedkiller thing.
I scorch the outer of lump, and I put one on the lit coals and one (if I use two) a short distance away still on the charcoal. I wait till the white smoke has gone and it is all blue fine and thin,then load the meat on and forget it. It's the only method that I have found (not saying there are more ways) that means when the second lump of wood burns it doesn't send white creosote acrid [email protected] all over the meat I am cooking.
I cook for flavour, and I don't give a toss about smoke rings or colour, just flavour.

1st-Beef brisket

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:53 pm 

Same. Though its effing grand when all boxes are ticked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:04 pm 

A couple of weeks ago I had a big piece of red gum at the bottom right in front of the air intake. I lit the charcoal from the top and it slowly worked down to the wood. For a good couple of hours I had the most beautiful blue smoke you've ever seen coming out of it. I sat there there over a few beers just watching it come out... My girlfriend thinks there's something wrong with me :(

Working with red gum isn't necessarily the best way to do it. It smokes quite a lot as it is and a kamado probably makes it worse.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Smoke-Ring/1486377048243697