Aussie Pitmasters Forum

Australias Best BBQ Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:11 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 9 Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:35 pm 

Barney wrote:
Yeah, that's what I'm worried about, wrapping an $80 brisket and the paper catching alight

Might get a half a kilo mince or something and wrap it and chuck it in for 3 or 4 hours and see what happens first before I commit to a brisket

Unfortunately, that's butchers paper, not treated paper. So you're going to find it will soak up the moisture and rip/tear/disintegrate. That's the stuff that they wrap raw meat with at butchers these days. Don't even need to cook with it. Pour half a cup of water on it and see what happens.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:41 pm 

thats actually a great idea, or snags!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:14 pm 

Grandpipe wrote:
Unfortunately, that's butchers paper, not treated paper. So you're going to find it will soak up the moisture and rip/tear/disintegrate. That's the stuff that they wrap raw meat with at butchers these days. Don't even need to cook with it. Pour half a cup of water on it and see what happens.

It did cross my mind as I was buying it that it might be that. If it is I suppose that I'll have a lot of paper spare to light the fireplace. At least I'll save on firelighters!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:21 pm 

Yeah you're right Grandpipe, it's very thin and goes to shit when wet.

I've got a brisket going on the smoker tomorrow morning. Might go down the path of trying baking paper, but the stuff I've got in the pantry is only 300mm wide. Hopefully Woolies or Coles will have something wider or I might try a catering store if I can find one open on a Saturday.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:22 pm 

Imo, chalk it down to experience and go with what you know. If you dont have the time, foil it. Don't experiment with a brisket and risk disappointment.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:05 pm 

Yeah cheers for that mate, you're probably right. I've had some great results in the past with not wrapping at all, but you know how it is, always looking to improve.

I'll see you on Sunday at the meat up if you're still going

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:44 pm 

So after a long wait I'll finally be doing a cook with the peach paper bags (butchers paper) next saturday (25/07)

On the menu I'll be having the following:

- A cape grim brisket (Approx 5.5kg)
- Boston butt (will try and get something in the vicinity of 4-5kg)
- Lamb shoulder (These usually weight between 1.5-2kg)
- Half a dozen baby backs (And maybe throw in a spare)

Fleetz sent me a few of the peach paper bags a while ago and will be using them for the brisket, hopefully it will fit after smoking the brisket for around 4-6 hours beforehand.

I've also got my hands on some more peach bags and will try the lamb shoulder and Boston butt using the paper bags also.

Also tempted to try one or two ribs as well to see what effect it has on the cook.

Stay tuned for pics of the cook in a separate thread starting next Friday night when I prep.

BigBadGus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:34 pm 

I forgot to mention that ended up following the product codes from the kraft paper that was posted on the first page. I asked them to send me some samples which i got the other day. Unfortunately, they're all a4 size, so i won't be doing any brisket wraps. But they did confirm their kraft paper was FDA approved. I'll post some pics when i get home.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:52 pm 

Looking forward to seeing your results Gus.

Fleetz sent me a couple as well, I'll be doing a brisket on the 27th to test them out. Second time doing brisket so could be interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:03 pm 

Jars wrote:
Looking forward to seeing your results Gus.

Fleetz sent me a couple as well, I'll be doing a brisket on the 27th to test them out. Second time doing brisket so could be interesting.

I picked up a 4.8kg (10.5lb) Cape Grim brisket this morning, I did a quick test and managed to fit the whole brisket snugly into one of the bags.

Don't forget the brisket will shrink after 6-8 hours of smoking so there's no issues getting this size brisket in there.

A little disappointed I couldn't get bigger. Sardes at Vic market was meant to get an order in this week which didn't get delivered so 4.8 was the biggest he had.

There was also mention of beef prices really going up as of late but still managed to get it for $12.50/kg.

Cheers
BigBadGus

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 9 Next