Aussie Pitmasters Forum

Australias Best BBQ Forum
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 8:04 pm

All times are UTC+10:00

Post subject: The perfect "butt"
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:53 pm 

I'm trying to drum up a discussion on our "cuts" and how how they differ from US "boston butts". I was talking to my uncle who use to work at a butcher shop, from a "square cut shoulder" they get 3 cuts out of it. The "shoulder picnic", "shoulder blade" or blade roast, and the collar butt/scotch fillet (neck?). Well i tried to understand him as much as i could; him being Vietnamese and understanding very little english and me being Vietnamese and speaking very little Vietnamese :lol:.

From here on out I'm going to refer to a publication i found on porkstar.com.au from googling (also on pork.com.au). The .pdf is called "3.7 Training Library" so hopefully it is what its called. But might not hold a grain of salt at all (who knows ?). Link below -

http://www.porkstar.com.au/media/47574/ ... ibrary.pdf

So lets talk "Boston Butts". I haven't really looking into how Americans cut their meat but to me it look just like a normal shoulder, blade bone in and scotch fillet still attached. Which i believe it is (look on page 73 in the .pdf). "Collar butt - 4059" is similar to a "Boston Butt" or as close as we will get here. The only real problem is if you request this from an asian butcher they wont sell it separate from the picnic, so you buy a whole square cut shoulder with or without hock removed. The first one i bought cost ~$5 p/kg untrimmed (spine bone still in), 2nd time i ordered from a different butcher it was trimmed and hock removed at $7.50 p/kg. You can also smoke the picnic shoulder, just remember to remove the stink gland. It smokes and pulls but its a drier cut.

Here is a picture for reference-

Post subject: Re: The perfect "butt"
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:06 pm 

Excellent pdf. Very long though. The good pics start about page 70-ish.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:59 pm 

Check out the videos here: http://porcine.unl.edu/porcine2005/page ... eVideoList you'll find some interesting videos for cutting up pigs for US cuts

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:21 am 

Well to me it looks no different to our "Collar Butt - 4059" cut but I'm no butcher. It's very hard trying to find a butcher that will work with you. I remember when I first started smoking meat and trying to get the Boston butt cut. Some butchers wouldn't even bother trying to accommodate to my needs, even calling in advance. They would try selling me the pork neck/scotch fillet. Ive cooked a few pork necks and can say, its just not the same as a real Boston butt. Just writing this up to help people starting out. It's hard enough trying to keep temps steady and all the other jazz, but starting off with a sub-par cut of meat and failing is a huge let down, not knowing why is even worse.