Aussie Pitmasters Forum

Australias Best BBQ Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:25 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous 112 13 14 15 16 17 Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:28 pm 

Will take some pics for you tomorrow. It's in the shed and too late at night to scurry around in the dark. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:41 pm 

yakabot wrote:
Will take some pics for you tomorrow. It's in the shed and too late at night to scurry around in the dark. :)

No probs mate, not desperate as parts won't arrive til next week, but very much appreciative!

Also, there was mention in here earlier of needing a certified electrician to sell these. Just a bit of info on that. I'm an electrician, but don't have a contractors license, so not allowed to make money on my work. You'd also need to get things like C ticks, etc. It'd be very hard to sell these without going full-tilt commercially, although once I've made my first one, I'd be happy to help any one in WA if they need it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:55 pm 

Finally found the thing. The way I cut a hole and mounted the fan, the reasoning behind doing it how I did, is the fan fills the box with air and forces it out the hole. Which is some sort of garden hose attachment. Just stumbled around bunnings until I found something that fit.
However, if I made it again, I'd put the pid length ways. The way I put it, was too close to the end, meaning there wasn't room for the bracket holder, and trying to connect the wires at the back was a nightmare, as there isn't enough room.
If you need pic's on a different angle, let me know.

You can see the square white pid holder is too close to the corner to mount/screw it in properly. So there's only 1 screw holding it in. Just should have gone a bit slower and cut the hole 10mm a bit further over.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:24 pm 

Thanks for the photos yaka. I was wondering how you connected the fan to the outlet and figured the easiest way of doing it was just pressurising the whole kit. I'm still working on on a connection between fan and the outlet. I actually came across some 13CFM blowers on ebay last night that actually have a round outlet rather than a square one, might consider getting one if I can't get it nice and clean.

Also, did your PID come with the mounting bracket?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:38 pm 

Yep, came with the bracket.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:50 pm 

Legend. I've got some ideas cooking in my head now, once I get the parts I'll post some pics with what I've come up with.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:53 pm 

Oh, bracket, yes, but not the box.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:36 pm 

yakabot wrote:
Oh, bracket, yes, but not the box.

Yep, understood :-)

What are people's thoughts on having the air pushed through the top vent? Looks like the CyberQ has instructions for both top mount and bottom mount, with top mount preferred.

I'm working on a couple of ideas to interface to the BBQ, since I have a mint condition OTG, I don't want to be drilling holes.

Idea 1. is using something like a large tuna can with a bolt and butterly toggle through it, similar to the 'dog bowl' the Pitmaster IQ has, but mounting it over the top vent.

Idea 2. is using a screw hose fitting and putting it through the top damper hole and alu taping the other holes.

Either way, gets rid of the 'flying ash' problem and also doesn't destroy my weber, and doesn't leave a hole that I have to plug anytime I'm not doing a low n slow.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:43 pm 
Site Admin

I personally wouldnt recommend it as heat rises and its likely to melt the small fan.
I would look for an alternative personally.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

- 3rd Lamb
KCBS Melbourne 2016 - 7th/17 Outright
- 2nd Chicken

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:54 pm 
Site Admin

You could use a cross section of a 44 gallon drum to make a fan mount. This would increase the cooking area as well as prevent any cutting.

A bend back up at the bottom of the air pipe would prevent backdraft too much and you can just shut off the one touch system

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

- 3rd Lamb
KCBS Melbourne 2016 - 7th/17 Outright
- 2nd Chicken

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous 112 13 14 15 16 17 Next