Aussie Pitmasters Forum

Australias Best BBQ Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:09 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:58 pm 
Site Admin

2016 Melbourne BBQ Festival - Aussie Pitmasters Lamb Rib Recipe

Now i know its not the done thing to give away your recipe that won you 1st place at a competition but i would like to share with you all our recipe for the competition lamb ribs.
Your results may vary and depending on the size of your ribs, type of pickle juice, cooker used but here is our method.

Ingredients

- Jar of Pickles (vinegar flavour)
- Mccormick's Grill Mate Vintage Smokehouse Sauce
- Rack of lamb ribs Trimmed
- Diemens Hot Sauce Seasoning & grillmates Montreall Steak Seasoning
- Vegetable oil

Prepare

On the Lamb ribs remove top layer of skin/fat until you reach the 2nd layer of meat. Leave about 1-2mm of fat on top of the meat.

Mix 1/3 Diemens rub and 2/3 grillmates Montreall Steak Seasoning into a bowl and use mortar and pestle or a spice grinder until into a powder

Lightly coat lamb rack with vegetable oil and then lightly coat rack with the seasoning

Sauce

In a bowl add 1 cup of vintage smokehouse sauce and then add pickle juice to taste. Taste should be until the vinegar flavour comes through and is tart in taste. Alternatively can use white vinegar or even powdered vinegar.
Warm up sauce before applying to Ribs but be sure not to bring to boil or else the vinegar will loose its tart flavour. Taste once warmed as the taste profile will change.

You can also add un-ground diemens rub to the sauce to have "flecks" within the sauce for appearance

Cook

Bring smoker up to 250F

Place racks meat side up on rack on indirect heat and cook for 4 hours

Once tender remove from smoker and sauce then carve up into individual portions.

- 3rd Lamb
KCBS Melbourne 2016 - 7th/17 Outright
- 2nd Chicken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:35 am 

Do you wrap these at any time ? Part of my wanting to start BBQing Low and Slow was to enjoy the other Australian Cuts of meat that most pass by.... I know most - nearly all - our prime produce never gets to the Domestic Market (that's a whole other soap box !!) but pining for the US Cuts at hugely expensive prices is just not viable. We have just as an amazing range of produce and very talented butchers that we ought to be supporting. No, I'm not a butcher either !

How would you ask a Butcher for a rack like this one ?

-- Mal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:48 am 
Site Admin

Bbqadict the eeality is that while the cuts slightly differ there really is ony so much beast to share around.
Lamb ribs are lamb ribs at the end of the day so if you ask the butcher for a rack of lamb ribs they should be able to deliver.

The other thing is that these days there is oretty much almost no cuts that people pass by.

Beef cheeks, osso buko, shanks, chuck, skirt, hanger, jowel all these cuts used to be secondary but are now just as popular as loin, backstrap ect ect.

Your butcher will tell you this.
What you should ask your butcher is what the cheapest cut os that they have and start with that.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

- 3rd Lamb
- 2nd Chicken

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:36 pm 

Thanks for the reply. I'm finding out just how true your comments are.. Learn to cook them all, adapt and take what's available.. :)

-- Mal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:01 pm 
Site Admin

Good to hear mal :)

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

- 3rd Lamb
- 2nd Chicken