Aussie Pitmasters Forum

Australias Best BBQ Forum
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:42 am

All times are UTC+10:00

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:49 pm 

Hello all

I’m a total noob at smokin and thought I’d fire up my new proq excel20 elite today and cook a pork but.

I used a full 8kg bag of Kingsford blue charcoal using the minion method with the water pan 3/4 full.
I lit 1/2 a chimney until it was bright red and completely ashes over and poured it into the middle.
I also had all 4 vents open and What I found was I could not get the thing hot enough. It struggled to get to 200 degreee farenheight using the temp gauge on the top (I’m still waiting for my Mavericks temp probe to arrive so I had to rely on the top of the lid )

The only way I got it above 200 was to empty the water pan to about 1/4 then it sat about 225 and went up to 250 as the water dried out.

But with all 4 vents open It seemed I had to top up the fuel about 4 hours into the cook.

Now one thing it was very very windy and one noob mistake I made is I didn’t put boiling water into the water pan. Now I’ve never used that charcoal before I usually use heat beads I might try them next time .

If anybody has any experience with this smoker and can prove some pointers I would be very grateful.