Aussie Pitmasters Forum

Australias Best BBQ Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:31 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: brisket help needed
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:09 am 

ok pitmasters, I have a brisket problem. I'm fairly new to this, maybe 2 years in, and my briskets had been steadily getting better and then BAM, brisket nirvana. Caremely kinda sticky outside, really soft inside (probably a little overdone to be honest) really moist, not dry and crumbly like they sometimes get. Awesome I think, I've got this. and now I can't repeat it. Following the same formula - 250f, wrap in pink paper when it gets to a nice colour, cook till internal temp is around 200, remove, rest about an hour and enjoy amazingness. Now it all seems to have gone out the window and the formula doesn't work any more and I'm struggling to understand why. I did one last night as a test and it felt like it was bang on at about 175f and was tightening back up at 185ish which is when I pulled it cause it felt like it was going south. and when I cut it, yup, it was tougher than it had been. so, wtf??!!!

Post subject: Re: brisket help needed
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:35 am 

So the Scientist in me comes out.....

Something has changed (obviously).
I'd probably guess its the meat (water content, age, quality) as its the biggest variable. Back track your meat selections.
Are you sure your thermometers are accurate, or not gone out of adjustment?
There maybe box temperature differences, depending on season, wind gusts, wood burning temp etc, that your not picking up.

Check your thermometers, get a known quality piece of meat and repeat, and keep accurate notes.

Post subject: Re: brisket help needed
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:19 am 

Yeah, what are you cooking on ?? And how long did the cook take second time round compared to the first. I would have kept going and pushed it to 200 again. Are you absolutely sure it tightened up, and didn't just need that final stage in the cooker. Have you tried another Brisket in the mean time ??